Sunday, November 30, 2008
INDIA'S EXTERNAL RESPONSE - OPTIONS
There should be an Indian response – a) quick but well thought out external response and b) the time consuming internal response to the attacks on Mumbai.
This article will deal with India’s options on the external response and I invite readers to post their views / thoughts as to India’s options.
Keep in mind the macro picture:
1.This attack on Mumbai was done by Paskitan Army in conjunction with ISI, SSG and other commando apparatus for training, Lashkar e Tayyiba, Dawood Ibrahim & others.
2. These terrorists were not your “run of the mill mindless terrorists”, these were commando terrorists that have seen the merging of Pakistan Army with Al Qaeda, Taliban and other terrorist organizations. Pakistan Army uses these “deniable” operatives for pursuing its foreign policy agendas
3. There are 2 Shias that Pakistan wants to avoid – Barrack Obama and President Zardari. ISI operatives tried to kill Bill Clinton – the plans were found out by mistake when fire broke out in Manila apartment where the plotters were. And ISI is already plotting to kill both Barrack Obama and President Zardari. (ISI might wait out to see if white supremacists can do the job for them – in case of Obama)
4. Pakistan dearly wants to stop attacking its embedded soldiers in Taliban and wants to get away from the thrashing and backlash it is getting from Taliban in NWFP areas. To stop these "jehadists" from imploding into cities of Pakistan, it desperately wants to employ its soldiers to the “peaceful” Indian front. (Pakistan has factored in the fact that India’s military is not going to cross the LOC for an all our war - a few hot pursuits in POK at most - BASED ON EARLIER ASSESSMENTS AND CURRENT ASSESSMENT OF INDIA'S POLITICIANS).
President Zardari was clearly out of the loop on this one. There is a battle going on (as usual) between the civilian and military relationship in Pakistan.
Condoleezza Rice pressed on President Zardari to send the ISI Chief to India, but he was snubbed badly by Pakistan Army and Zardari had to hastily rescind the decision. (Much like the earlier abortive move to place ISI under Interior Ministry). She failed in Pakistan and is now coming to India (on 3rd Dec) to cool down India.
Bush successfully cooled down India after the Parliament attacks, and hopes that this time too he can be successful.
Hence, what are India’s options – external actions:
War is not an option now. You do not fight a war on terms and dates set by your adversary. This is much the case this time – a challenge has been thrown to India. If this was asymmetrical warfare from Pakistan, our response should be equally “unique”:
1. Stop water flow to Pakistan from Kashmir. Bleed them and make their land dry
2. Close air / road / rail links to Pakistan
3. Recall Indian Ambassador and stop issuing visas
4. Target killing of Hamid Gul, Mahmood Ahmed, J Nisar, Dawood Ibrahim, Hafiz Sayeed
5. Missile attack on POK training camps of jehadists
6. Blow up Karachi Stock Exchange
7. Blow up Gwadar port - completely
8. Naval blockade – before Kargil war was stopped, Pakistan Army had just 7 days of fuel left. Ensure a similar situation by blowing up of oil dumps.
9. Clearly tell Pakistan, that no troops are being amassed at “present”. Operation Parakram has taught Indian army the drawbacks of time sustained troop buildup. It can today, go for, debilitating strike into enemy territory in a very short period of time.
Last point comes under US pressure to ensure that Pakistan does not move troops from Afghanistan border. Reasons have been stated in earlier article.
Pakistan will surely up the nuclear ante. Time we stood up to that and say, no issues, you drop one bomb and we will annihilate Pakistan (remember our Army General who said this).
Pakistan cannot feed 160 million hungry mouths today – how can it feed 300 million mouths by 2050? Hence India – Pakistan war is INEVITABLE at some point. The longer we wait, the higher will be the casualties. Hence, we will wage war, but at a time of our choosing and it is NOT NOW.
What can you do?
For starters if you are living abroad, then start referring to PAKSITAN as TERRORISTAN. At every conversation with foreigners drill down this new name for our neighbour. And when you come across a Pakistani - after the courtesies are exchanged ask about the safety of his family in TERRORISTAN - the idea is to use psy ops on the Pakistani emigrate population.
Stop calling terrorists - mujahideens or fidayeens. They do not need "romantic" overtures. Call them "takfiris."
MAJOR SANDY UNNIKRISHNAN (1977 - 2008)
SIR, THANK YOU FOR SHOWING WHAT IS SELFLESS SACRIFICE AND COURAGE. I HOPE INDIA DOES NOT LET YOU DOWN.
Let me end by giving two statements made by US President (incumbent and to be), that was laughed at, some time back:
PRESIDENT BUSH – “ JUST WHO IS IN CHARGE OF ISI ?”
PRESIDENT (TO BE) BARACK OBAMA: “PAKISTAN HAS USED USA MONEY MEANT TO COMBAT TERRORISM (USD 11 BILLION) TO BUY WEAPONS (BY DECEIT) AND IS PREPARING TO FIGHT A WAR WITH INDIA.”